Monday, November 23, 2009

Speak To Me With Words



"What can you say about words, my dear James?"
 
“In my opinion, words are to the soul as the fruit of a tree is to its roots,” said James.

“Can you really be so sure?” replied Peter. “I believe that words are more like a mirror of the soul.”

“I suppose that is true as well. But it says here in this book I’m reading that without words the life of the soul would never blossom.”

“Mmm….an interesting thought. So what else does it say in this book of yours?”

“Well, here is one passage that elaborates on the idea. It reads, ‘Words are the substance of our conversations, the channel for our education and classroom lessons, the stuff that poets and politicians depend on, and the six o’clock news as well, the way that friends reveal their hearts to each other, the foundation of the great books of history, and without the use of words human life could not be.’”

“You know, I had never thought of it like that,” and Peter seemed carried away in meditation. “But what about the words that injure others and cause damage or deceive you or start a conflict? What about those words?”

“Yes, I suppose they are in a different category of words, dear Peter.”

“I suppose they are. Nevertheless, if words be life for the soul, my good friend, then read on, and do not spare my ears. Let me be the object of an endless flow of good words, for how better could we pass the time?”

Leba Sleiman

No comments:

Post a Comment